Planning The Trip To Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro
This coastal town is well known among tourists for its numerous pocket beaches and many snorkeling and Scuba diving spots. The area was designated a Man and Biosphere Reserve of UNESCO in 1973 and has some of the most diverse coral reef diving in Asia. The marine environment has benefited in recent years from the influx of tourist dollars. This has seen a huge reduction in the number of fishermen in the area, as they gain higher revenue from tourists.
Puerto Galera is a listed by the Club of the Most Beautiful Bays In The World, and is the only bay in the Philippines to be listed there.
Among the famous beaches in Puerto Galera, I have always liked going to White Beach. Many say that this is the alternative to Boracay because of its white sands but of course incomparable to that of Boracay. Aside from having an active nightlife with numerous bars and restaurants, White Beach boasts of also having an array of first-class and economy-class accommodations. One can find an air conditioned accommodation during off season for as low as Php700 per room per night and can house a maximum of 8 persons. Very cheap indeed! But brace yourselves when it’s peak season. The same room rates to about Php3000 to 5000 per room per night! The other beaches that you can go though are as follows:
- Alibatan Island. This island beach is not far off from Puerto Galera, and it will definitely be worth the trip. The first time that you step on the beach among the first things you will notice are its fine sands, which are among the whitest and purest you will see. Another added highlight for visitors are the assorted wildlife; at various times you’ll be able to see sea turtles and lots of seagulls. A dive into the waters will offer you a view of an array of corals and shells.
- Sabang Beach. This is definitely one of the most popular and widely visited beaches in the island province, and for all the other resorts in the area, Sabang Beach Puerto Galera is still a top draw.Aside from the sands, clear blue skies and the soothing waters,another thing that you can look out are the various bancas idling by. Not only are they a pleasant sight, but they also provide you with a chance to view and experience a little of Puerto Galera culture.With plenty of resorts, restaurants and bars nearby, Sabang Beach will also appeal to those people who would like to party the night away.
- Big La Laguna Beach. The Big La Laguna bay provides a breezy experience of enjoying the cool crystal waters along the Puerto Galera beach at La Laguna where the sands are white and its marine life are full of corals and reef. If one wants to explore a diving holiday along the Puerto Galera beach the La Laguna beach has a beach club that provides a holiday or vacation diving adventure.One gets a perfect diving point along the Big La Laguna beach where one gets to enjoy different water activities such as diving, snorkeling, kayaking, jet skiing and many other fantastic water sports to enjoy in this Puerto Galera beach.
- Small La Laguna Beach. This part of Puerto Galera beach is a tropical paradise with fringing palm trees lining the beach shores. One can find quite a few diving centers and beach resorts and restaurants operating at the Small La Laguna beach which is not far from the Big La Laguna beach (5 minute walk) where both Puerto Galera beaches are separated by the Sabang beach at midpoint.The Small La Laguna beach offers a tranquil place to stay owing to its being a small beach but is ideally located for tourists who want to enjoy a relaxed vacation far from the bustling beaches in Sabang and Big La Laguna yet fairly close enough to enjoy sun bathing and enjoying the night life at Sabang and La Laguna beaches.Sto. Nino Beach. Although there are major Puerto Galera beaches there are smaller beaches which remain to be underdeveloped and not commercialized owing to its less ideal location. One of these Puerto Galera beaches is the Sto. Nino beach situated at Barangay Sto. Nino in Puerto Galera. Only the locals there enjoy the cool waters of the Sto. Nino beach which remains to be less populated and underdeveloped to date.
- Tabinay. Tabinay is a part of Puerto Galera Island which is near to many resorts, restaurants and clubs that bring visiting tourists closer both to sea and the mountains. One gets the chance to enjoy a relaxing recuperation from a stressful environment by enjoying the beauty and sparkling beach waters of Puerto Galera beach. Just located about 3 kilometers away southeast from Puerto Galera, the Tabinay beach lacks developed infrastructures to make it a more commercialized Puerto Galera beach but it does provide a tranquility and relaxed beach environment that many tourists love to sun bathing in this remote beach in Puerto Galera.
- Aninuan Beach Resort. The Aninuan beach resort is known for the beautiful view of sunset along the tropical island of Oriental Mindoro. The resort is located fronting the South China Sea and is considered to be one of the finest resort in Puerto Galera beach overlooking the beautiful sunset known to be popular among honeymooners, tourists and nature lovers.The Aninuan beach resort is one among the Puerto Galera’a beaches where sunset weddings are held. The captivating combination of the lush palms and studded dwellings with unique décor of native origins makes Aninuan beach resort as one of the best among all the resorts in Puerto Galera beaches.
- Balatero Beach. The Balatero beach is one among the favorite place to visit among the Puerto Galera beaches. It is lined with different resorts with pool facilities and near diving centers where one can enjoy visiting the world renowned diving sites in Puerto Galera.Along the breathtaking views to enjoy one can indulge with the remarkable tranquility of walking along the beach with the views of crystal clear waters that Puerto Galera beaches are known of.
- Dalaruan. One can find from Dalaruan beach the different luxury villas which are located along the pristine coastal area of Puerto Galera beach with plunging pools overlooking the exceptional views of the Unesco that are voted as man and biosphere protected area located in Puerto Galera bay.Found at Dalaruan beach is the only resort that offers a spa along the breathtaking views of the mountain making Dalaruan beach as one of the most famous Puerto Galera beaches.
- Dulangan. If one is seeking a tranquil place to stay to spend a relaxing vacation along the Puerto Galera’s beach, one can find several beautiful resorts along Dulangan beach that offer a serene place to stay. The ambience is also romantic and suitable for tourists looking to spend time bonding with nature.
- Minolo. A Puerto Galera beach located just five minutes walk from the White Beach is a quieter place to enjoy a glimpse of the Minolo Bay of Puerto Galera Island just along the coasts of Minolo Beach. The Minolo beach offers a more relaxing place to visit if one prefers a more subtle ambience of a beach relaxation. Minolo beach is near the Tourist Center and the National Road.
- Palangan. Along the Puerto Galera beach is Palangan beach where one can indulge with the natural beauty of Puerto Galera Island. There are numerous elegant and luxury hotels that give visitors a haven vacation in tropical paradise.
- Poblacion. Poblacion is Puerto Galera beach tagged as Mindoro’s tourist center. The Poblacion used to be the Puerto Galera beach known to be a fishing village and has become a starting point in going to all interesting places in Puerto Galera Island. The pier is located at Poblacion and numerous shopping centers are found in this Puerto Galera beach and all shopping in this place can excitingly be done on foot.
- Sinandigan. A Puerto Galera beach which is considered to a place where one can find the most diverse and abundant beautiful slug species is the Sinandigan beach. It is in this area where the Sinandigan Wall is located, a famous dive site to get a glimpse of the beautiful nudibranches, corals and abundant marine life and different kinds of fishes. Sinandigan Wall is famous for being the richest dive site in Puerto Galera.
Behind the beaches are the huge and generally unexplored mountain ranges of central Mindoro. A particular local attraction is the nine hole golf course perched on the hillside above White Beach which commands spectacular views over Puerto Galera’s natural harbor and the Verde Island Passage. Mangyan tribes are scattered over the mountains sides – some of the more remote tribes have no contact with the outside world. Of the eight tribes on Mindoro, the Iraya are the largest. They are based in the Puerto Galera area.